Reclaiming again…

So a few years ago I found this table in the dumpster at work. I decided to bring it home because I thought it would be cool to put it in the basement so the kids could have a small TV down there to watch. 

Well, after a few years, I think the TV has been on only twice. 

We’ve also been selling and purging any of the toys or other stuff the kids no longer use or play with. 

So I decided to bring this table back up from the basement to find a way to reclaim it once again and use it for something in my shop. 

Well, for starters, I remember why I first decided not to cut it up to try and use the wood in it for anything. It’s because it is filled with staples and screws. The screws are easy to remove, but the staples are another story. 

On the surface, it appears that this table is constructed of 2×4’s. But upon further inspection, it is actually 3/4″ thick pieces of pine stapled and possibly glued together to create the appearance of a 2×4. 

When I cut it up, I was able to salvage four 2×4’s from it that are free of any nails, screws or staples. 

The top is all 3/4″ pieces of pine that are stapled together. However it is slightly bigger than the area beneath my workbench. So I decided to use it as a shelf. 

The size that I needed to cut it down to was 15 1/2″ x 42″. 

I decided I was going to swap in my old blade in my table saw and try ripping it to the width that I needed. I knew I was going to hit staples as I ripping it which would cause sparks. Sparks and sawdust are not a good combination. As soon as I hit the first staple, there were a few sparks, so I took it slow and backed off the piece of wood out of contact with the blade. I was able to get through to the next staple and then I decided I needed to find another way to rip it down. 

I used my jig saw for about two seconds before I switched to my circular saw. 

I probably cut through four staples in all four cuts that I had to make. It definitely made sparks but at least they weren’t shooting down into the table saw cabinet with the possibility of catching any sawdust on fire. 🔥🔥

Just to let you know, these staples were pretty heavy duty staples and were about 2-2 1/2″ long. If they had been lighter, thinner staples, the blade wouldn’t have even flinched cutting through them. I just didn’t feel safe or confident enough to continue cutting them on my table saw. 

After making the four cuts using my circular saw, I put the panel in place under my bench and it fits very well. I then fastened it down to the horizontal supports with four of the screws that I removed from the table. I was also able to use the same counter bored holes that they came out of. I hadn’t even planned or thought of using the same holes and they lined up perfectly. 

I’d say this was a win and it will definitely give me some extra storage space for some tools or whatever else I decide to put under there. The best thing is that this didn’t cost me a dime to make. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s